timberland brent cross Cornelia Clark Fort 1919

compare cheap timberland boots Cornelia Clark Fort 1919

On December 7th, 1941 , a young civilian flight instructor from Tennessee, and her regular Sunday morning student took off from John Rodgers Airport in Honolulu.

Fort’s apprentice was advanced enough to fly regular take offs and landings and this was to have been his last lesson before going solo. With the novice at the controls, Fort noticed a military aircraft approaching from the sea.

At first that didn’t strike her as unusual; Army planes were a common sight in the skies above Hawaii. But at the last moment, she realized this aircraft was different and that it had set itself on a collision course with her plane.

She wrenched the controls from her student’s grasp and managed to pull the plane up just in time to avoid a mid air crash. As she looked around she saw the red sun symbol on the wings of the disappearing plane and in the distance, probably not more than a quarter mile away, billowing smoke was rising over Pearl Harbor. entry into World War II. and a mid air collision would tragically make her the first American woman to die on active military duty. They either passed or failed their flight check. In 1986 Adela Scharr published Sisters In The Sky a book that caused a lot of controversy among the remaining original WAFS.

Cornelia had been teaching flying in Pearl Harbor on the morning of the attack, Dec. 7, 1941, and her experiences were published in Woman’s Home Companion, June, 1943.

The editor wrote this about her story:

Here is one of the most remarkable articles ever published a personal story by the first woman pilot to die on war duty in American history. Shortly after she sent it to us, Miss Fort, twenty four, of Nashville, Tennessee, was killed when the bomber she was piloting crashed in Texas. But her words here will live as a moving account of why one woman joined the WAFS and as a testament to all American women who are helping keep America free.

These WAFS were sent to Long Beach, CA in February, 1943. Bernice Batton was in the bunk next to Cornelia. When Cornelia got killed someone brought some of Cornelia’s clothes back, blood and all, and piled them on Cornelia’s bunk. They stayed there for a few days, much to Bernice’s horror. One day the belongings just disappeared.

Bernice was later checked out in a P 51. On her first ferry mission she left Long Beach on the usual heading and after getting the gear up, the flaps up and the plane trimmed out she got out the maps to see where she was. She was already on the third sectional chart before she located her position. Cruising at 350 knots was totally new to her.

Barbara Towne had been a model and was the mother of two boys. She was 24 years old when this picture was taken. I tried calling her and wrote several times but she felt that she had nothing to add to our recollections. I can only imagine that she had no personal knowledge of the crash. These were all corageous women who were test pilots for the planes they flew.

by , Woman’s Home Companion, June, 1943

I KNEW I was going to join the Women’s Auxiliary Ferrying Squadron before the organization was a reality, before it had a name, before it was anything but a radical idea in the minds of a few men who believed that women could fly airplanes. But I never knew it so surely as I did in Honolulu on December 7, 1941.

At dawn that morning I drove from Waikiki to the John Rodgers civilian airport right next to Pearl Harbor, where I was a civilian pilot instructor. Shortly after six thirty I began landing and take off practice with my regular student.

Coming in just before the last landing, I looked casually around and saw a military plane coming directly toward me. I jerked the controls away from my student and jammed the throttle wide open to pull above the oncoming plane. He passed so close under us that our celluloid windows rattled violently and I looked down to see what kind of plane it was. Born the fourth child in a wealthy and prominent family in Nashville,
timberland brent cross Cornelia Clark Fort 1919
graduated from Sarah Lawrence College at the age of twenty.

She became enthralled with flying and earned both her pilot and instructor licenses. While teaching flying in Hawaii, witnessed the japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941. When war was declared, she becoame part of the Women’s Auxiliary Ferrying Squadron. had logged more than 1.100 hours of flying time when another plane crashed into her, killing her instantly.

Her epitaph proudly reads “Killed in the Service of Her Country.”

was working as a civilian pilot instructor at Pearl Harbor on the very day the Japanese planes came over. She was the second woman to join the WAFS and became the first fatality of the WAFS when she was killed in March, 1943.

was the daughter of a prominent Tennessee family, had attended Sarah Lawrence College, Bronxville, New York, and was a flying instructor in Hawaii, being in the air with a student when the Japanese came over Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. Her two brothers were in the United States Army.

She learned to fly at Nashville and had first soloed on April 27, 1940. She received a private pilot’s license on June 19, 1940, and an instructor’s rating on March 10, 1941. She then became a Flight Instructor for the Massey and Rawson Flying Service, Fort Collins, Colorado, taking part in the Civilian Pilot Training Program (CPTP).

The WAFS suffered their first fatal accident when BT 13A, serial number 42 42432, collided in mid air with another plane. Her plane crashed after the collision, was entirely demolished, and she was killed. The other (male) pilot was unhurt. Both pilots were stationed at the 6th Ferrying Group base at Long Beach, California, although the accident took place ten miles south of Merkel, Texas, on March 21, 1943.

At the time of the accident, Miss Fort was one of the most accomplished pilots of the WAFS and had some 1,100 hours to her credit. was flying with a student pilot on the morning of December 7, 1941, when they nearly collided with a Japanese aircraft leaving the scene at Pearl Habor. Thus she became one of the few airborne eyewitnesses to the attack. Fort learned to fly after graduating from Sarah Lawrence College and she became a flight insturctor in Colorado, and then,
timberland brent cross Cornelia Clark Fort 1919
in Hawaii.